Wednesday, October 8, 2008

GOLEM by David Wisniewski

I chose this book for my Caldecott Award Winner book, mostly because I have a friend who is in to Jewish folklore and he had once mentioned the story of the Golem. I first noticed its amazing and complex art work (big surprise coming from the art major). The entire book is illustrated by very intricately cut pieces of construction paper, and you certainly would not guess this at first glance. Well as I read through this book, I quickly realized that this was not just any children's book (and not just because of the artwork). It had complexity and depth that even some major novels fail to grasp. I was stunned. The book tells the tale of the Jewish oppression in Prague, that took place in 1580. Rumors were being spread that the Jews were using the blood of children to mix with their flour and water to make the Passover bread. Knowing of the coming violence this "Blood Lie" would bring, the chief rabbi, Judah Loew ben Bezalel, summoned forth the Golem, a creature that only the most righteous of men could create to protect the Jews. The rabbi named the Golem Joseph, and told him to protect the Jews, but although Joseph did as was asked of him he was more concerned with the gift of life. Like I said, the book was fantastic, and definitely a must read.

No comments: