Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Saint George and the Dragon retold by Margaret Hodges and Illustrated by Trina Schart Hyman

I chose this book for my other Caldecott Award because I honestly just like stories about knights defeating dragons. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this story very well. As I understand it, the writer Margaret Hodges wanted to retell this story for new generations so that it would not be lost, and I appreciate that fact. Sorrowfully the story reads much in the same way a child makes up a story, "Well first there was this knight, then he ran into a dragon, and he fought the dragon, but the dragon won, so he had to fight the dragon again! And then everyone was saved! The end!" Okay, to be fair I am exaturating a little bit, but it literally felt like I was reading a very long run on sentence. On the other hand the watercolor illustrations were very nicely done and they were stylized to look like pictures that are in original books containing great stories of old. I just think, that if you are going to try and retell a story, don't just translate what happens, but give it a little more "flavor."

No comments: