Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Enormous Crocodile by Roald Dahl

This book was chosen by my Lit Circle group for our Author Study Project. I am reviewing this book first because it was the shortest of the three books that we read. This is a fairly amusing tale about an enormous crocodile that tries to trick children into falling for his traps so he can eat them, but he brags about his plan to eat children the entire time he travels through the jungle, which comes back to "bite" him in the end. Although this was definitely pact with Dahl's sense of humor and writing style, I feel as though it was just too short. I felt like as soon as I started the story it was over. Don't get me wrong, I know that it was not intended to be a long story, or even an epic tale, but it lack the sense of depth and wonder in most Dahl tales. I think that this is a good read for kids, but this is one of the first that I would only suggest to kids.

No comments: