Thursday, November 20, 2008

In Daddy's Arms I am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers Illustrated by Javaka Steptoe

Although this was written by and for African Americans to reflect their culture, you don't have to be African American to enjoy this book. You don't even necessarily have to have a father. I personally was reminded of my Grandfather when I read the poem "Promises" because my grandfather used to tell me that he would always love me, even when he was gone. Now that he is gone, this poem especially hit home for me. There are eleven other poems all focused around a child's feelings and love for their father. I'll admit it, I did cry after reading this book, and to this day only a few other books have ever evoked that kind of emotion out of me. This book is very heart warming, and I would suggest it to not only children six and up, but I would also suggest it for Father's Day gifts for experienced fathers and new fathers alike. The only thing that I might want to stay away from is getting this book for someone that may have just recently lost their father. I also would like to mention that the collage and mixed media artwork is breath taking. Javaka Steptoe really put his heart and sole into these masterpieces. It is no surprise to me that the book won the Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award in 1998.

No comments: