Sunday, November 30, 2008

Heat by Mike Lupica

I love baseball. It's probably the only sport I follow, so Heat appeared to be a good choice for my Caudill Nominee. It's not that I didn't enjoy the book, I did, its just, I was expecting more baseball. I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover huh? The story centers around a boy named Micheal Arroyo, whose father has died only a few months after bringing him, and his older brother Carlos from Cuba. Carlos is only a few months away from turning 18, and it is up to Micheal, Carlos, Manny (Micheal's best friend), and their neighbor Mrs. Cora to keep the secret of Micheal's father's death from child services and a coach of a rival little league team so that Micheal can go on to win the the little league series. As I said before, I read the book for the baseball, but stayed for the suspense. Although at times the story seemed far fetched, it was a pretty heart warming story. I would suggest it to any who likes a good story not just the 9-12 reading level it is suggested for.

No comments: