Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories by Dr. Seuss

This is the second book I chose for my illustrator series. This book actually contains three stories. Each story deals with some kind of moral issue, such as greed, vanity, and pride. As I stated before in my previous blog, Dr. Seuss has style all his own, and I think that it shows more so in this book than in Horton Hears a Who! only because in story Gertrude McFuzz Seuss really has fun with the illustrations and lets his pen fly! I really wish I could have seen him draw in person, and found out how he got such marvelous detail in every drawing. He almost has a zen like quality to his pen strokes. Anyway, I thought that the Yertle the Turtle story was probably his most political of the three, mostly because its about a greedy king that has everything, but will sacrifice his own people to get more. Where in politics can that not be applied? Sad but true. Lastly, my favorite story was The Big Brag, where a bear and a rabbit are arguing about who is better, when they are both out smarted by an old worm. Once again, a story where someone out smarts an advisary much larger or powerful then themselves. I would certianly read this to my kids...if I had any...

No comments: