Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Princess and the Frog by the Grimm Brothers Retold by Will Eisner

I have to admit, The Princess and the Frog (also known as the Frog Prince) is not one of my favorite classic tales. In fact the only reason I even picked this book was because I was absolutely stunned to find that Will Eisner, the legendary comic book writer/artist, retold the story in his own way. For those that don't know the great Will Eisner, he is mostly known for his creation of the Golden Age pulp comic hero, The Spirit (soon to be a major motion film, where it will be butchered and turned into something it's not by the supposedly great Frank Miller). Will Eisner also was the creator of the graphic novel, a book composed of a collection of comic books. One of his most famous books, A Contract with God is arguably the best graphic novel of all time. In the comic book world, the Eisner Award is the equivalent to the Oscar in the movie biz. Anyway, despite not liking the original tale of the Princess and the Frog, I devoured this book. It may be due to my biased love of Will Eisner, but regardless, the man is an excellent storyteller. His watercolor illustrations are actually some of his best works, and I believe that it nothing short of destiny that I happened upon this book. I plan on trying to find a copy to own of this book to add to my vast collection of Will Eisner works. Eisner is known for making the fantastic more human, and easier to relate to, while at the same time keeping it in the realm of fantasy. This book is no exception, and I think it is good read for both children and adults alike!

No comments: