Thursday, November 20, 2008

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Yes, I know. I have made it very clear that I am not a big fan of the Harry Potter series, and I still stand by that. I am not a big fan. I chose this book for my modern fantasy book because I thought since so many people love it, and so many children can't get enough of the series, I might give it one more shot. I will admit, it is well written, and the plot of a boy, who lives with his evil Aunt and Uncle, and tortured day in and day out by his cousin, finds out that his parents where in fact a witch and a wizard and he must now become one himself, was interesting, I just can't get into it's Cinderella like quality. I am not sure what it is exactly about the series I don't like, I mean there are plenty of reasons to enjoy it, I just find it, "okay". I guess it's just not my cup of tea. In any case the book does teach kids that anyone can do great things, as long as they believe in themselves and their friends. It also must be very engaging (for reasons not entirely understood by yours truly), because kids all over the world can't get enough of the books. As much as I may not understand it, and as much as I may be put off by it, kids are reading these books, and that is the most important thing. I just feel that if you want to read a story with magic and a child that overcomes impossible odds with the help of friends, read anything by Roald Dahl instead.

No comments: