Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Missing Piece by Shel Silverstein

I chose this book for one of my picture books mostly because I remember reading it as a child, but also because I affectionately call my girlfriend, "My missing piece." In this story a circle with a missing piece is on a journey to find his missing piece, which is more of a triangle shape. The circle sings and rolls along and comes upon many different pieces, but none of them are his missing piece. Finally he comes across a triangle shape that fits just right, and they join together. Unfortunately, when joined together the circle rolls far too fast, and is unable to sing. The circle decides to let go of the missing piece and continue rolling at his own pace and keep singing. This book show children the importance of being ones self and not to worry if they are "missing a piece." This is an important lesson for both kids, and adults, but I may have to find something else to call my girlfriend though (just kidding). Anyway, as I mentioned before Silverstein is an amazing artist and it is shown even here where there is nothing but simple shapes throughout the entire book. I would suggest this to anyone who feels that they are "missing a piece."

No comments: