Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Light in the Attic By Shel Silverstein

There is only one form of children's literature that I recall ever reading as a child, and that is Shel Silverstein poetry and short stories. I decided to revisit my child hood stomping grounds for one of my poetry books and re-read A Light in the Attic. I was just as excited and thrilled to read this book today as I was as a child. I have admit, I had forgotten just how silly, sly, witty, and inspiring, Silverstein is. Poems ranging from a Rhino that wants to fly, to a man with a wavy head, Silverstein finds a way to provoke funny bones and hearts alike. Not to mention his amazing pen and ink style. I would even go as far as to argue that the only artist that can surpass Silverstein's illustrations is Dr. Seuss, and that's saying something, especially coming from me. I actually almost chose Silverstein for my illustrator study, if you can believe it. I know I read this book at a very small age, but even if a child reading level isn't up to the 9-12 age range I would read at least some of these poems to younger children. I mean they are just good clean fun.

No comments: