Wednesday, November 19, 2008

James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

I chose this book for my Book-to-Movie comparison, mostly because I love the animation style that the movie is done in. As for the book itself, I had to get it on a book on tape because that was the only available copy I could find at the public library. This did not take away from the story at all. I rather loved the book and could only wonder why it was a banned book. Turns out it was originally banned because the mystical element of the use of magic crocodile tongues. I feel this is a completely silly reason to ban a book, I mean you might as well ban Cinderella as well because of the fairy godmother. Anyway, this not my banned book...book so I will move on. I actually felt that the movie did an excellent job and only enhanced the story. This is a very rare thing for me, because usually, if the movie doesn't stay absolutely true to the book, I don't like it. This is the exception though. The movie stayed very true the heart and soul of the book, which is at its heart a story of a boy overcoming impossible odds with the help of friends. I say forget all the reasons why this book was banned and give read it anyway. Let your kids read it, there is nothing wrong with a little magic. Lord knows we could use some in the real world.

No comments: